Monday, January 17, 2011

First full day in Vienna!!

Well, today was my first full day in Vienna!!!!! woop woop!!
It began with waking up to navigate the train system in a big city, something that I am not used to! The three of us navigated our route the night before! It was quite an image! We had a huge map of Vienna spread out on the floor, in addition to smaller maps of the public transportation, guide books, highlighters, and a ipad app! Finally we figured it out and we were able to make the route this morning...only asking for help a couple of times! We went to the center to get the address for the police station. Although we did not get busted for a crime, it is required for study abroad students to register with the police! Crazy huh?! Once we registered we went and ate at this super cute cafe and tried out our broken German! ...which at this point is quite broken!
My roommates have their German class before me so I walked around the 1st district, the absolute center of Vienna for about an hour and a half! It was wonderful!!!! I found so many tourist spots, but then some more local spots as well! If you do know me, or even if you do not, I am a sucker for churches! I love looking at them, walking in them, and generally looking around! I found three churches today! Some in the most peculiar spots! All of them were so beautiful! I was amazed how even the small churches could have vast detail! I also found some cool things like a local shop that made wooden string instruments!
And then I had German.....
Now, the last language I took was Spanish, and that was first semester of freshman year, so two years ago!! Spanish and I do not really have the best relationship...past or present! I do not have fond memories of Spanish, but rather stressful memories about how I could not memorize verbs or vocabulary! Well, now I am in German! Which besides the fact that it was soooo incredibly stressful today, I am still super excited to learn! The class, which is intensive German for the next three weeks, consists of me taking German for three hours every day! So I will be learning and it will be awesome and great! But only in the first hour and a half of me learning German EVER consisted of articles (definite and indefinite), verb conjugations, the "w-words," numbers all the way to 100, general introductions and how to tell about yourself! A little intense for me, but hey, I want to learn German!!
The evening ended with us and two friends having dinner in our house! Which was lovely because I felt like a real grown-up, preparing dinner and eating together at the table! It was great and we had a fun time! Oh, and have I talked about my house? Yes, a house! The abroad program gives you the choice to live in an apartment, which most students seem to live in from what I have seem. So I signed up to live in one! Ohhhh buddy! I am living in a three story house! Although this place is new and does not really have furniture (but really, who needs that?), there is a kitchen, dining room, living room, marble staircase, the middle floor could hold 150 people at least, and three bedrooms on the top! We also have 5 bathrooms! This is literally crazy and nuts and wonderful and fun! The house is beautiful and it is in a safe, residential neighborhood in the 18th district in Vienna! I got lucky somehow!
Tomorrow begins the super intense German!! Bring it on!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment