Thursday, January 20, 2011

Culture shock-rail system

Well, I have a lot more to talk about, but this is something that I think is a pretty big culture difference!
I have to take two trains to get to school everyday, something that I am completely not used to at all!!! One of the reasons I wanted to go to a big city was for something like this, something different than my University! It takes me about 35-45 minutes to get to school everyday, and even though I am 90% sure that I will hate it by the end of the semester...or even in a couple weeks, right now I love it! Traveling by myself has made me rely on myself so much more and feel more comfortable in unfamiliar places and situations! That is my goal for the end of the semester: to be ok if I don't know where I am and be able to, as an abroad staff member calls it, "get lost" with confidence! Cheesy...yes, but I'm a cheesy person!
Anyways....back to the crazy thing! Thing I miss about the south as well as Sewanee: passing hello and talking to random people you dont know. In Vienna....not so much the same! It took me a couple of days to get used to it, and I don't know if I still am! Thing I love about Sewanee: honor code. Vienna has one too! Vienna is one of the most trustworthy cities! People are on their honor to buy a ticket for the subway! There are no scanner machines, and they hardly ever get checked! If you don't have your ticket, then you get a fine. I have only been checked once and I have been taking the train multiple times a day for about a week! The person who checked my ticket was dressed like a normal person too!
Another cool thing is that the people in Vienna are super polite in the subway! Everyone always lines up on one side of the escalator so that people who are in a hurry can easily pass!
Other things I will talk about soon when I don't have a German test the next day: Vienna at night, kabab stands, successful use of German, and other daily encounters!!

No comments:

Post a Comment