Sunday, March 6, 2011

High on life from the ALPS!!!

HOKAY!

So, I realize that I need to post about lots more things! Mini list:
-Prague
-The best ballet EVER
-Seeing my Grandparents
-Berlin trip highlights (I know, super late!)
-my frustrations with public transportation
-Did I mention all the chocolate I'm eating?
-My education internship
-Other small tidbits here and there!

Well, for starters, I just got back from the ALPS! Yes, the Austrian alps! It was just as amazing as anything, actually, more amazing than anything that I could have ever compiled into my head! I have been really lucky and I have gotten to ski in some really amazing places in the U.S., but this was just absolutely phenomenal!!!
We got to the hostel at night on Friday and went straight to dinner! I had some delicious schnitzel, potatoes, and krapfen!!! Krapfen is a seasonal doughnut which is filled with, traditionally, apricot jam! Sounds gross, but super duper delicious!!! I roomed with my friends who went on the trip and we all got into out bunks in our 8 person room and were so excited for the next day!!! I have to be honest, when I saw the mountain lift the first time, it seemed small, and it was not what I was expecting. However, this was quickly fixed the next day!! We hung out in the gym at the hostel that night just playing around! There is another girl here who plays volleyball so we both got to play some, which was sooo amazing! I have missed playing so much and it was making me so happy to play! Even if we were playing with an indoor soccer ball!
Saturday we got up early and ate a super big breakfast to prepare us! We got on the mountain and I was super eager to start going!! We went down a couple of runs to get our ski legs back in order and then we wanted to head over to the other mountain where there were more intermediate runs and stuff!
We head over to the mountain, after getting lost on the bus route, and it was SO AMAZING!!!! Pictures or words could not describe the beauty that I was surrounded with. We literally were all stopped on the top of the mountain just looking around! It was by far one of the most beautiful things that I have ever seen! We were blessed with gorgeous weather! Blue skies and not one single cloud! :) It was perfect! The whole rest of the afternoon was spent skiing down everything! I even did a black!!! (Which was the highest level!) And then a funny thing happened...so we had to catch a bus back to get back to the hostel. So we go down to get the bus and realize that there is no connecting bus to get us back to the hostel because that bus has already run its last run. And even though we could take the bus to the other mountain and ski over to our hostel, the lift would be closed....well, oh no! Long story short, we were dropped off at a post office in the town that our hostel was in. A 45 minute walk later, while wearing boots and carrying skis, we returned home! Despite the bad situation, I was in the best mood! That day put me on the most amazing natural high I have not experienced in a while! Granted, being in Austria is like a natural high, especially when I exit the subway station and the beautiful state opera house is there! But this was different! I'll explain more later. Dinner was great that night! More traditional Austrian food! Then I went in the sauna with some friends and sat in the pool and rested. Bed time came super early that night because we were zonked!
Today we got up super early again, packed, and ate and hoped on the bus to go straight over to the larger mountain (with the sick views!). We stayed there the rest of the day skiing and taking a glorious lunch break! We also took a break just to lay in the sun on the side of a run gazing at the view! Today the weather was so perfect!!! I was so sad to leave!! :(
This weekend was so great for so many reasons!! It was by far the craziest skiing experience I have ever had! Normally, I am a pretty timid skier, but for some reason this weekend, I was much more daring! I was daring to go fast, which is rarely the case, daring to ski down moguls, which is really rarely the case, and I had this thirst that I have never had before skiing! The whole weekend made me miss my dad so much! Who I luckily get to see, along with my mom, who I also miss very much, in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) I associate skiing with my dad. It is something that the two of us can go and do and enjoy! It is something that I love doing with him, even if he leads me into a black covered in moguls on "accident." I wish that he could have been there with me because I know how much he would have enjoyed it! I also wish he could have seen this crazy daringness that was happening! I was on such a natural high this whole weekend! Even sitting here typing this, I a so happy, so content!!! This weekend was amazing! I cannot even stress it enough! I had the best time with everything! It was all so wonderful!!! The weather, the snow, the slopes, the VIEW, friends, laughing, and general good times! Everything about it was so great! So many times this semester have I thought to myself, "How is this real? How is this my life right now??" This weekend was one of those times! Tomorrow my unrealness will continue with a real masquerade ball!!!!!
I am so in love with life right now! And I will be so much more in love if it warms up soon!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment