Friday, September 7, 2012

Wildflowers and Chalk Covered Jeans


It is starting to warm up here, which is fantastic! So, last weekend I went with my host family on a spontaneous trip to the wildflowers. It was so beautiful! The wildflower region stretches from about an hour from Cape Town all the way until Namibia. Another fun fact, I learned that South Africa has the most diverse flowers of any range in the world! Neat-o, huh?! There is really no wrong or right way to see the flowers, so we just drove and stopped when we saw something nice. The first place that we stopped was a flower preserve off of the highway. We got out and each took time to walk around and take in the surroundings. The most amazing thing about the wildflowers were that you could walk 10 feet in one direction and see something completely different or see one flower, just one, and never see that kind again. The different flowers were stunning! There were daisies, lilies, critters, and butterflies. It was a perfect, sunny day, so all of the flowers were open. We stopped a few more times when we found huge fields ridden with flowers. It seemed as if a paintbrush had just painted over the grass. The air smelled like honey and we were all reminded of “The Wizard of Oz” as we sat down and had a picnic. Afterwards, we drove to the town Darling, which besides having the most wonderful name, is also a very cute small town. Luckily, there was a street festival going on and so we had a break and enjoyed all that the festival had to offer. When we drove home that night all of the flowers were going to sleep, sadly, but it was still so enjoyable just to see them. When we were heading into Cape Town, I couldn’t keep my eyes off of Table Mountain. It is truly one of the most amazing sights that I have ever seen. I cannot get over how regally it stands nor how flat the top is, haha, which I realize sounds a bit silly. The whole day was fantastic! If you feel like looking at about 100 pictures of flowers, the photo page has been updated.

Things at the school are continuing to go very well! The kids have really reached my heart, and no matter how far my patience is stretched, I always smile whenever I think about school. Here are just some tidbits about school:
-I learned that if you give two children your tennis shoes, they will spend 20 minutes trying to tie them. I loved the way that they were so attentive to the knots that they made. For example, after they learned that pulling the knot tighter would not un-do it, they had to think about another way to solve the problem. Getting to sit there and watch was a gift.
-The girls’ new favorite game is “salon” where about 3 or 4 of them surround my head and pull and twist it into different shapes, braids, and pony tails. Needless to say, I often have a headache at school haha.
-My new favorite accessory is chalk all over my pants.
-I had a moment that I never considered before. The children have a craft rhythm, which means that on each day they do something specific. One day a week they use dough (playdough) to shape and mold into their hearts desires. I was always sad when we did dough because each child does not get a lot. I would always think, “what on earth can someone do with just a little bit of dough?” So, this past week, we inquired about borrowing some dough from downstairs so that the children can have some more. Our teacher said no, because the dough that we use is thick and hard, and it works on the fine motor skills of the children. I had never even considered this! But it is so true! We use dough and beeswax to model, and although each child only gets a little bit, a lot goes into changing the shape of the dough. The children really have to work, especially with the wax, which I attempted for the first time this week. I was amazed how difficult it really was, and I only had a small bit of it.
-I have come to love ringtime, which is when the children sing and play finger games. It amazes me how the nature of the children change from song to song. Our teacher does a fantastic time about varying the rhythm, pace, and volume of the songs that we sing. I learned that the reason Waldorf uses ringtime is that the children are still coming into their bodies. Ringtime helps them to not only learn how to interact with their classmates, but realize new movements on their own. 

Next week I will go to a new Waldorf school. I am excited to explore a new place! 

No comments:

Post a Comment